Sunday, April 11, 2010

How to get rich and famous from having a blog

Lots of bloggers would love to make money and be rich and famous simply from blogging. I'm not one of those people. Seriously, do you think I would have spent the last 23 years in school if I wanted to be rich from blogging? The answer would be no. (And, yes, I've actually spent 23 years in school. Not counting pre-school. Which means I've technically been in school more years then my students have been alive. And they are college students.)

So here are a few ideas if you'd like to be rich and famous from blogging:

1. Already be rich and famous, and then start a blog. Name-drop your blog on Entertainment Tonight or other shows that you might be on, like The View. I bet your blog will get lots of comments.

2. Write something very controversial. First, think of the target audience you want to offend. It could be stay at home moms, environmentally friendly people, or horse-lovers. Then make a post designed to tick off those groups, but don't be too obvious about it. Go for a subtle tactic, like "Hey, I was wondering if stay at home moms might just be super lazy? And that's why they stay home, not because they love their kids?" or "You know what, on second thought I think recycling is pretty stupid and we should throw everything into landfills," or "Horse meat tastes good." (that last one isn't subtle but apparently according to someone I know who recently ate horse meat it's true.) Then find a place where stay at home moms/planet lovers/horse lovers hang out (on the internet) and drop some links to your blog. I bet you'll get a lot of comments.

Okay, I could only come up with two ideas, one of which doesn't count because it involves already being rich and famous, and the other involves being a jerk. See, that's why I have no plans to get rich and famous from blogging.

(Oh, and I hope you weren't offended by my hypothetical examples. And I'm sorry if you're offended by the horse meat thing, because I'm just repeating what I heard.)

2 comments:

  1. I finally figured out how to get the "hot mexican women" and "russian bride" ads out of my AdSense! Apparently all I had to do was blog about blogging and now I've got a bunch of blogging ads.

    Oh, and please don't point out the irony of my first ever comment on my blog being from me on a post about how to get comments on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much money have you made? where is your site traffic coming from?

    ReplyDelete